Areas of Practice
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D.
- Boston College, B.A.
Bar and Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
REMI L. SPENCER
Remi Spencer concentrates her practice in the areas of state and federal criminal defense, municipal court and attorney ethics matters. She is a former Union County Assistant Prosecutor, and has focused her practice in the area of criminal defense since leaving the Prosecutor’s office in 2005.
Remi has vast experience representing individuals, families and businesses in criminal investigations and prosecutions. She also represents clients in the administrative, licensing and regulatory proceedings that are often a consequence of the criminal proceedings. Remi has represented clients in connection with “white collar” criminal investigations including mail and wire fraud, bank fraud, health care fraud, money laundering, tax fraud, bribery and public corruption. She has also defended clients charged with unlawful drug possession, assault, endangering the welfare of a child, murder, attempted murder, sex trafficking and sex assault. Remi also has extensive experience representing individuals charged with DUI/DWI and other serious motor vehicle offenses.
Remi has argued matters of first impression before the New Jersey Supreme Court and Appellate Division. Remi has represented individuals in high-profile, newsworthy matters, and she is a frequent commentator on cases of national interest. Since 2007, Ms. Spencer has appeared on most local and national cable news networks: CBS, NBC, ABC, FNC, MSNBC, FBN, CNN, CNN Headlines News, Tru TV (formerly Court TV).
- Named to “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” by the National Trial Lawyers Association since 2013
- Selected by New Jersey Super Lawyers since 2011. *
- Criminal Trial Attorney of the Year, 2014, Essex County Bar Association
*The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology and other information about Super Lawyers can be found at www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process_detail.html. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- “Criminal Trial Practice,” New York City CLE Marathon (April 2015), Practising Law Institute
- “Municipal Court Practice,” New York City Bar Association (December 12, 2014)
- “Recent New Jersey Supreme Court Cases,” Meadowlands Seminar, New Jersey Association for Justice (November 13, 2014)
- “NJICLE’s 2014 DWI Institute,” NJ ICLE, New Jersey State Bar Association (July 10, 2014)
- “Firearms Cases & The Graves Act,” Boardwalk Seminar, New Jersey Association for Justice (May 1, 2014)
- “Municipal Court Practice,” New York Bar Association (January 31, 2014)
- “Eyewitness identification Experts and Testimony,” New Jersey Association for Justice (November 14, 2013)
- “Hot Tips for Hot Litigators,” New Jersey State Bar Convention, New Jersey State Bar Association (May 15, 2013)
- “Criminal Trial Practice,” New York City CLE Marathon, Practising Law Institute (May 2012 and May 2013)
- “Technology in the Criminal Case,” Essex County Bar Association (March 29, 2012)
- “Technology & Divorce,” Bar Foundation of Union County (November 22, 2011)
- “Survival in the Courts,” Criminal Practice, Essex County Bar Association (September 2008, September 2009)
- “Warrantless Searches of Motor Vehicles Under New Jersey Law,” Essex County Police Academy, Training Session for Law Enforcement (September 2007)
- “Protect the Victim – Enforce the Law. Prosecuting & Defending Complex Domestic Violence Cases,” The New Jersey State Municipal Prosecutor’s Association, Training Session for Municipal Prosecutors (January, February, March, May and June 2007)
- “Demystifying the Drama of a Domestic Violence Case,” New Jersey Law Journal and Mercer County Bar Association, Xtreme CLE (November 2006)
- “The Complete Guide to Prosecuting, Defending and Understanding DV Law and Procedure,” Bergen County Bar Association, Criminal Practice Committee (February 2006)
- “Misconduct, Domestic Violence and the Fourth and Fifth Amendments in New Jersey,” Lorman Education Services (March 2006)
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Essex County Bar Association
- Trial Attorneys of New Jersey, Trustee
- New Jersey Association for Justice
- Seton Hall University School of Law Alumni Council, President-Elect
- Supreme Court Ethics Committee District VA Fee Arbitration, Vice-Chair
- “NJ Ruling on Eye Witnesses Will Have Wide Ramifications”, co-author Mr. Roger Cogen, Press of Atlantic City, September 7, 2011
- “Commencing the Federal Court Action”, co-author Mr. Donald E. Taylor, Esq., Dos & Donts of Federal Practice for the Advanced Practitioner, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, January 2003
- “Arbitration of Consumer Disputes”, co-author Mr. Marvin J. Brauth, Esq., New Jersey Auto Retailer, New Jersey Coalition of Automotive Retailers, Vol. 2, Issue, 1, Spring 2003