Areas of Practice
- Rutgers University School of Law – Camden, J.D.
- Franklin & Marshall College, B.A.
Bar and Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
ALAN S. GOLDBERGER
A nationally recognized authority on sports law and sports officiating, Alan Goldberger is the author of Sports Officiating: A Legal Guide, the recognized legal resource for game officials. Alan counsels clients in sports industry risk management and liability defense, business-related disputes, administrative hearings and contractual relations. He is frequently retained to defend sports officials and sports-related entities, including national governing bodies.
Alan also represents closely held and publicly traded corporations and other businesses, insurance carriers and individuals on a local, state and national level. He practices in the areas of sports law, business law, sports insurance defense, association law, and business and chancery litigation.
Alan has obtained excellent results for clients in sports, business and commercial cases. He has prosecuted and defended numerous contract claims, chancery matters, partnership and corporate disputes, private and nonprofit association hearings, business torts, tax court matters, employment-related claims, Law against Discrimination claims, and other matters in litigation, administrative and arbitration forums. He has served as corporate and transactional counsel to businesses, and as hearing officer for a number of sports organizations.
In addition to Sports Officiating: A Legal Guide, now in its 2nd edition, Alan is co-author of Sport, Physical Activity and the Law, a college textbook now in its 3rd edition. His work has been featured in numerous national and regional publications, including NJ Biz, Referee Magazine, Sports Business Daily, USA Football Newsletter, IAABO Sportorials, The Squash Official and the Sport Intelligence Research Center. He also provides legal commentary to major media, including “CBS This Morning”; Fox News “Fox & Friends”; ABC Radio “Sports Talk” with Art Rust, Jr.; My9 New York Television News; the A.M. Best Insurance Law Podcast Series; The New York Times, USA Today, The New Jersey Law Journal and Athletic Business Magazine. Alan is a frequent speaker at national, regional and local conferences, including the National Association of Sports Officials, the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials, Inc., the American Bar Association, the National Intramural Recreational Sports Association, the National Parks and Recreation Association, the National Police Athletic League, US Lacrosse, the Professional Association of Volleyball Officials, Atlantic Ten Conference/Patriot League Basketball Officials Developmental Camp, the Sports Lawyers Association, and many state and local high school athletic associations, colleges, universities and school districts.
Alan is AV Preeminent® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and is an A. M. Best Recommended Insurance Attorney.
- A.B. v. Staropoli, 929 F. Supp. 2d 266, 283-84 (S.D.N.Y. 2013)
- EEOC v. Britrail Travel Int’l Corp., 733 F. Supp. 855, 1990 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 3794; affd. 919 F.2d 134; 1990 U.S. App. LEXIS 19475
- EEOC v. Britrail Travel Intern. Corp., 129 F.R.D. 116
- Harris v. Red Bank Regional High School, 2005 WL 2620577 (N.J. Super.A.D., 2005)
- Manago v. Roland V. Massimino Basketball Camps, Inc., 989 F.2d 487, 1993 U.S. App. LEXIS 5347
- Matter of Byrne, 1998 N.Y. Tax LEXIS 105
- Matter of Byrne, 1997 N.Y. Tax LEXIS 289
- Midwest Employers Cas. Co. v. Harpole, 293 S.W.3d 770; 249 Ed. Law Rep. 500 Tex.App.-San Antonio, 2009
- Rabinovich v. Shchegol, 251 A.D.2d 25
- Shchegol v. Rabinovich, 1999 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8817
- Sports Lawyers Association, 2015 Annual Conference, “Legal Issues Implicating Referees and Officials,” Baltimore, May 2015
- International Association of Approved Basketball Officials, Inc. (IIABO), Annual Meeting, Rochester, NY, April 2015
- National Association of Sports Officials, Sports Officiating Summit, “The Lawsuit and Liability Landscape,” St. Louis, July 2015
- U.S. Lacrosse National Convention, Baltimore, January 2015
- Professional Association of Volleyball Officials (PAVO) National Convention, Oklahoma City, December 2014
- CUM-CAPE and North Jersey Boards of Approved Basketball Officials, October-November 2014
- International Association of Approved Basketball officials, Inc. (IAAB), Fall Interpreation Seminar, Burlington, VT, September 2014
- National Association of Sports Officials, Sports Officiating Summit, Albuquerque, July 2014
- Atlantic 10 Conference/Patriot League Developmental Camp, Manheim, Pennsylvania. July 2014.
Community and Public Service
- Consultant to State of New Jersey relative to content of safety training and orientation requirements for statutory tort immunity for volunteer coaches and officials
- New Jersey Department of Education Professional Development Provider
- Florida Department of Financial Services Education Provider
- Clifton Postal Advisory Council
- Montclair Township Landlord-Tenant Advisory Committee, 2005-2008
- Rutgers University Youth Sports Research Council, Charter Member
Distinctions and Awards
- National Association of Sports Officials: Medallion Award
- American Association for Physical Activity and Recreation: Distinguished Service Award
- American Association for Physical Activity and Recreation (AAPAR) Risk Management Council
- American Association for Physical Activity and Recreation: Safety & Risk Management Council Honor Award
- North Jersey Board of Approved Basketball Officials, Inc. — Frank C. Corrigan Memorial Award
- North Jersey Board of Approved Basketball Officials, Inc. –Dominic Cuccinello Distinguished Service Award
- American Association for Physical Activity and Recreation (AAPAR) — Presidential Citation:
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law Committee on Nonprofit Corporations — Outstanding Attorney/Nonprofit Lawyer Award
- National Association for Girls & Women in Sport — Presidential Award
- School and Community Safety Society of America — Professional Service Award
- Sports Officiating: A Legal Guide, Second Edition, Referee Enterprises, Inc., 2007
- Sport, Physical Activity and the law, Third Edition. Third Edition (Co-Author), 2007
- Sport, Physical Activity and The Law, Second Edition (Co-Author), Sagamore Publishers 2002
- Sport, Physical Activity and The Law, (Co-Author), 1994
- Sports Officiating: A Legal Guide, 1984
- The New York Times online: “Room for Debate” “Do Rowdy Fans Need a Timeout?” October, 2012
- Numerous articles in legal and athletic publications.