Areas of Practice
- Environmental Site Remediation
- Environmental Liability and Coverage
- Insurance Coverage
- Land Use and Zoning
- Appellate Practice
- Case Western Reserve University, J.D.
- University of Connecticut, B.A.
Bar and Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals, New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, New Jersey
- State of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
SANDRA CALVERT NATHANS
Sandra Calvert Nathans has an extensive background in environmental liability and coverage as well as general insurance coverage matters. Sandra focuses her practice on environmental law, remediation, brownfields redevelopment and environmental risk management in real estate transactions representing both public and private clients. Earlier in her career, Sandra served as legal counsel for the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management (“RIDEM”).
Sandra has been involved in large environmental coverage and/or remediation cases at numerous New Jersey sites. Sandra has assisted clients with environmental issues, working cooperatively with NJDEP and environmental consultants to complete remediations. Her practice is concentrated in the areas of water quality and environmental policy, including freshwater wetlands, individual sewerage disposal systems and water resources. Sandra is also an experienced appellate litigator having litigated more than 25 cases in the Appellate Division and five appeals before the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- Represents a large, national development firm with a strong New Jersey presence in purchase and redevelopment of several contaminated sites.
- Represents public clients providing counsel in a variety of environmental issues including land use, redevelopment law, Green Acres statute and regulations and other environmental laws.
- Training on issues of Implicit Bias in Environmental Law, Environmental Inns of Court, February 3, 2021
- Moderator, Employment and Insurance Issues Arising from COVID-19 Return to
Work Issues, Insurance Law Section of New Jersey Bar Association, February 2, 2022
- Brownfields Redevelopment, Environmental Inns of Court, March 2, 2022
- To Defer or Not to Defer: the Role of Agency Deference Following West Virginia, Environmental Inns of Court, December 7, 2022
- Environmental Inns of Court
- Programming Chair, Insurance Law Section, New Jersey Bar Association
- Appellate Practice Committee
- Member, North Caldwell Planning Board
- Moderator, Board of Deacons, First Presbyterian Church, Caldwell