Areas of Practice
- New York University School of Law, LL.M.
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D.
- Rutgers University Graduate School of Management, M.B.A.
- Rutgers University. B.A.
Bar and Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Tax Court
NORMAN D. KALLEN
Norman Kallen dedicates a substantial portion of his practice to advising clients in diverse business and transactional matters, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, financings, corporate restructurings and capitalization, joint ventures, shareholder/member agreements and disputes, marketing, distributorship and licensing agreements and other commercial contracts. In addition, he counsels start-up and mature closely-held and family-owned businesses in all facets of the business life cycle, including capital raising (private equity, angel funding, and debt financing), shareholder/owner issues, business succession planning, turnaround and restructuring, and employee/employer issues including executive level employment and equity compensation issues.
With a background as corporate counsel to a start-up software technology company, Norman has first-hand experience dealing with software and technology development and licensing, including joint development agreements, protection and exploitation of intellectual property, strategic alliances and related venture capital and early stage funding. As a result of this in-house experience, Norman brings legal acumen and business insight to his clients to help them effectively and efficiently achieve their immediate and strategic goals.
In addition, Norman has extensive experience representing lenders and borrowers at all levels of commercial loan transactions, including loan restructuring/workouts.
Prior to BMK, Norman was the General Counsel for a New Jersey-based software technology company. Before moving in-house in 2000, he was a partner in the law firm of Ravin, Sarasohn, Cook, Baumgarten, Fisch and Rosen, P.C., and previously, he practiced in the corporate department at Sills Cummis.
Notably, Norman was honored with Martindale-Hubbell®’s highest rating, “AV Preeminent®.” A description of the methodology and other information about Martindale-Hubbell® can be found at http://www.martindale.com/Products_and_Services/Peer_Review/Methodology.aspx. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Represented numerous clients, including an international reseller of computer mainframes and ancillary equipment and an international supplier of drilling equipment to the oil and gas industry, in connection with securing new bank credit facilities, including EXIM Bank sub-facilities, as well as negotiating and drafting loan documents to facilitate their expansion of domestic and international activities.
- Represented shareholder of EDI provider in connection with sale of equity to publicly traded buyer and subsequent acquisition of co-shareholder equity, including negotiating and drafting stock purchase agreements, related capital raise documents and preferred stock conversion documents.
- Represented purchasers of national remodeling contractor in all aspects of its acquisition including the review, negotiation and preparation of all transactional and financing documents.
- Represented numerous equity holders in negotiating, documenting and financial restructuring necessary to effect “corporate divorce” matters across numerous industries.
- Represented multinational reinsurance software and service provider in connection with the negotiation and preparation of a master software development agreement, software license agreement and SLA for the development and maintenance of customized software and service related support.
- Represented UK industrial materials consultancy and metallurgical testing company in connection with the acquisition of equity from a domestic materials testing facility.
- Represented an international supplier of well and drilling equipment in connection with the negotiation and preparation of various master supply agreements having operations in the Gulf of Mexico, Southeast Asia, Africa and South America.
- Represented manufacturer and producer of nutraceutical products in the negotiation, review and documentation of new credit facilities to infuse working capital, fund facility expansion, expedite equipment modernization and facilitate real estate acquisitions.
- “Techniques to Maximize Value to Seller of Assets in a Privately Held Business,” panelist at New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants, Essex County Chapter
- Presentation to the New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants, Passaic County Chapter entitled “Selected Provisions of the New Jersey Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act”
- Continuing education presentation to large regional accounting firm on the revisions to the New Jersey Reform Uniform Limited Liability Company Act
- “Protecting your Intellectual Property in Private and Government Contracting”, co-presenter at Picatinny Arsenal