MICHAEL J. GREENBERG
Michael J. Greenberg is an experienced commercial real estate attorney whose practice is focused on the acquisition, financing, and leasing of commercial real estate, inclusive of office, retail, industrial and multi-family assets. His clients include private equity real estate funds, REITS, institutional investors and large family-owned developers.
Prior to joining BMK, Michael spent a decade as a partner in the internal law firm of a group of private equity real estate funds with more than $1.3 billion in assets under management. During the Great Recession of 2008 and for several years thereafter, his practice focused on representing the funds, as well as numerous joint ventures with other funds and institutional investors, in acquiring distressed properties and debt. As the market recovered, Mr. Greenberg’s practice became focused on development opportunities. He represented the funds and affiliated entities in more than 100 acquisitions, dispositions and financing transactions having an aggregate value of over $1 billion.
Michael also represented various fund-affiliated entities in more than 500 commercial lease transactions across the office, retail and industrial sectors. As the representative of numerous major office properties, he has negotiated leases with multinational corporate tenants such as Samsung, Canon, Kumon, Franklin Templeton, Hyundai, ADP and Dish Network. He has also represented landlords in the leasing of medical facilities such as surgical centers, dialysis facilities and MRI centers. His retail leasing experience includes negotiating leases with national retailers such as Home Depot and Bed Bath & Beyond. He has represented landlords in leasing industrial properties to many large multinational corporations including Tesla, Wieland-Kessler, Ferguson Enterprises, Chrysler and United Technologies.
He began his career at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP and practiced in the real estate department at Sills Cummis.
- Represented private equity real estate funds in the acquisition of the defaulted debt secured by leasehold interests in four distressed office buildings comprising over one million square feet of office space in Ridgefield Park, NJ; represented the funds in the subsequent acquisition of the properties by acquiring the leasehold interests; represented the funds in numerous leasing transactions; represented the funds in numerous rounds of financing for the properties; represented the funds in the acquisition of the fee simple interests in the underlying land from the Town of Ridgefield Park, merging the leasehold interests with the fee simple interests in the land, and in refinancing the merged interests.
- Represented joint ventures of private equity real estate funds and other institutional investors in the acquisition of numerous defaulted notes and distressed office properties throughout New Jersey and New York including three office buildings in Clifton, NJ, two office buildings in Manalapan, NJ, two office buildings in Roseland, NJ, an office building in White Plains, NY, an office building in Valhalla, NY and two office buildings in Hauppauge, NY; represented the investors in acquiring deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure; represented the investors in leasing the properties, refinancing the properties and selling some of the properties.
- Represented private equity real estate fund and other institutional investors in the acquisition of a large portfolio of defaulted notes from a major commercial bank secured by multifamily properties throughout New Jersey; represented the fund in the acquisition of the properties through deeds-in lieu of foreclosure, the sale of the notes and/or restructuring the debts and/or other workouts; represented the fund and investors in obtaining financing for numerous properties; represented the funds and investors in the sale of the properties.
- Represented joint venture of private equity real estate funds and other institutional investors in obtaining a $140 million construction loan for the construction of a luxury tower in Jersey City, NJ.
- Represented one of the largest privately-owned real estate developers of high-tech office and industrial space in the tri-state area in leasing over one million square feet of industrial space to Fortune 500 companies; represented the developer in numerous refinancing transactions.
- Represented a large national plumbing distributor in a vertically integrated joint venture with a European-based global leader in the manufacturing of copper and copper alloy products; represented the national distributor and its shareholders in the divestiture of numerous industrial properties and the subsequent leasing of the properties to the joint venture.
- Represented a solar developer in the acquisition and development of numerous sites for the construction of utility-scale solar generation projects.
- Represented joint venture of private equity real estate fund and other institutional investors in the financing the construction of a luxury hotel in Jersey City, NJ, that involved a $42 million senior secured construction loan and a $13 million subordinated mezzanine financing facility.
- Represented private equity real estate fund and other institutional investors in the acquisition of numerous properties for development projects in Journal Square, Jersey City, NJ.
- Represented private equity real estate funds in the acquisition of numerous properties for ground-up development and redevelopment; represented the funds in condominium conversions for mixed use, commercial/retail/multi-family, development projects; represented the funds in refinancing transactions for construction loans and subsequent permanent financing; represented the funds in the sale of numerous completed projects.
- As co-counsel with bankruptcy counsel, represented a debtor-in-possession which is one of the largest paving contractors in the tri-state area, in the Section 363 sale of an asphalt plant; represented an affiliated entity in the sale of the adjacent real estate.