Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction and Employment
- Rutgers College at Rutgers University, B.A.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D. (designated G. Joseph Tauro Scholar for academic excellence)
Bar and Court Admissions
- State of New Jersey, the US District Court, District of New Jersey
- US Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
ROBERT S. DOWD, JR.
Robert Dowd has been a commercial litigator for more than 35 years, with concentrations in construction and employment law. Bob has substantial trial experience, including numerous jury trials. Bob served for many years as the co-chair of the Bergen County Construction Law Committee and is an acknowledged state-wide authority on the New Jersey Construction Lien Law, having published several articles, co-authored a practice guide and presented lectures on this subject to the New Jersey Bar and to the New Jersey County Clerks.
Bob’s employment law practice has focused on claims involving violations of the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, New Jersey’s whistleblower statute and wage and hour laws, as well as the negotiation of severance agreements, particularly in the pharmaceutical and financial services sectors. Bob has been a speaker at employment law seminars and published articles in the area, including for the New Jersey Law Journal. He has participated as a “Master of the Bench” in the New Jersey Sidney Reitman Employment Law Inn of Court.
In addition to construction and employment, Bob has substantial experience litigating cases involving claims of consumer fraud, professional liability, fraudulent transfers, class actions, alter ego liability, tortious interference, as well as significant appellate work, including making new law in RSB v. BSI, 368 N.J. Super. 540 (App. Div. 2004) (lost profit damages sustained by new business) and Turner v. Schering-Plough, 901 F2d. 335 (3d Cir. 1990)(burden of proof in employment discrimination).
Since 1994, the peer review rating service Martindale-Hubbel has awarded Bob a “Preeminent” rating of AV for very high ethical standards and a legal ability rating of 5.0 out of 5.0. Avvo, a similar attorney rating service, has assigned Bob a 10.0 out of 10.0 “Superb” rating. Bob has also been named a “Top Lawyer” in Bergen County in Commercial Litigation and Construction Law by 201 Magazine and a “SuperLawyer” in Construction Law. Bob has “big firm” experience, including at Cole Schotz, where he was a partner in its litigation, construction and employment departments.
- Obtained multi-million-dollar settlement of Federal District Court collective action on behalf of employees mischaracterized as independent contractors for claims of wage and hour violations under Federal Fair Labor Standards Act and New Jersey State Wage and Hour Laws.
- Obtained mid-six figure settlement of fraudulent transfer claims against principals and affiliated entities of insolvent construction company on behalf of contract purchaser of building and subsequent six-figure settlement for professional malpractice claims against counsel who had represented client in transaction.
- Secured companion trial division decisions in favor of zoning approvals obtained by developer of asphalt plant use and affirmation of both decisions on appeal.
- Reached seven-figure settlement in middle of jury trial of claims of professional negligence against environmental consultant and against prior counsel who had represented Fortune 500 client company in underlying purchase of industrial facility.
- Secured six-figure judgment after successful jury verdict of New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act claims against golf club on behalf of former member for refund of membership deposit, which judgment was paid in full plus interest and attorneys’ fees after golf club appealed jury verdict. Thereafter initiated class action New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act claims on behalf of class of former members of same golf club, resulting in multi-million-dollar settlement.
- Obtained mid-six figure settlement on appeal of successful jury verdict of claims under New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act on behalf of out of state executive whose rental was flooded during hurricane, despite client’s full recovery of out of pocket losses separately from his insurance company.
- Obtained mid-six figure award after several day arbitration of construction defect claims against builder, along with dismissal of builder counterclaims for unpaid balance of contract, following discharge in separate litigation of $275,000 of subcontractor construction lien claims against the client’s warehouse located in the New Jersey Meadowlands.